What difference does it make???
Posted: 13 October 2012 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

What will the Presidential election mean to any single person living in Manhattan, Kansas??  The vote of any Manhattanite will not make the difference in the election.  All the Kansas Electoral votes will go to Romney no matter how each of us votes.  So… every voter in Manhattan could stay home from the polls and it wouldn’t make a bit of difference in who spends the next 4 years in the White House.

Whether the President remains in office another 4 years… or is replaced by Romney… what difference will it make in how the U.S. is governed??  No matter which is elected, the wind down in Afghanistan will remain on track for 2014.  No matter which is elected, it won’t make a bit of difference in how our children are educated or the price of groceries or whether or not the U.S. continues using Daylight Savings Time.  Congress makes laws and passes budgets.  Congress has much more control over things that affect you and I than a President.

Our schools and our taxes depend much more on our State government than who occupies the Oval Office.  Whether or not local social service agencies have money to keep assisting our neighbors depends much more on our City elected officials than our President.  The day after the January inaguration, we will wake up at the same time we did the day before… put our pants on the same way… and continue attempting to make ends meet in family budgets. 

The President we elect in November will undoubtedly have the opportunity to appoint at least one Supreme Court Justice.  The far right and the far left have both attempted to become cheerleaders to have their verison of the SCOTUS, in hopes that Court will set precedents favorable to their specific political/social bent.  I really cannot see much except the SCOTUR appointment/appointments that could possible be different from one candidate to another.

Internet traffic will decline dramatically if Romney is elected.  No longer will there be dozens of daily e-mails telling us the President is not a natural born citizen or the President is a Muslim or the President is an undercover agent for the Communist Party of America.  Just yesterday, I rec’d an e-mail “proving” Obama’s wedding ring has an inscription in Arabic that, translated, says “There is no God other than Allah!”  The daily digital diatribes will dramatically diminish if an American born wealthy Caucasian Christian is elected.  The lack of having to Snopes every other e-mail might be refreshing in itself.

Honestly, what difference will this Presidential election have on the way you conduct your life over the next 4 years??

Posted: 15 October 2012 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2011-07-25

i’m not a fan of the electoral college.  it’s un-american, even though part of the constitution, to have anything other than one man, one vote.  i’ve never understood the rational for it other than honoring land.

if mitt is elected, obamacare gets a fix.  money spent on wind is returned to the treasury.  and class warfare comes to an end.

Posted: 15 October 2012 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10
Bob Strawn - 15 October 2012 10:39 AM

i’m not a fan of the electoral college.  it’s un-american, even though part of the constitution, to have anything other than one man, one vote.  i’ve never understood the rational for it other than honoring land.

if mitt is elected, health care reform gets modified to put more money into insurance company pockets.  money spent on wind is moved to provide even higher subsidies for oil companies.  and class warfare escalates as the rich get richer and the poor suffer even greater wage and salary decimation.

Fixed it for ya….

Posted: 15 October 2012 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2011-07-25

those would be the democrats’ talking point, yes.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.