The irony of it all
Posted: 31 January 2013 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Mondays paper had a small article at the bottom of the front page regarding the Labor Department’s fining of GTM.  Wednesday’s paper has a bold headline at the top of the page that boasts “GTM to bring 650 jobs to city”. (The actual figure is 638 as I understand it, but 650 is close enough for newspaper work).  Along with the article, there was a nice photo of the state jackass chatting with the CEO of GTM.  The head jackass lauded GTM and said we need more companies like this, then went on to say “We’re not going to be able to do low-skill, low-wage items and compete in a global market-place.” Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
I guess we now know the Mercury’s and the governor’s position on sweat shops. (I had already guessed that about the governor, but was a bit surprised that the Mercury would support such a plan.)

Posted: 31 January 2013 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2012-10-10

I wonder what the turn over rate is at GTM??

Posted: 31 January 2013 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  478
Joined  2012-10-10

I agree that the paper has the tale of two cities.  One day GTM is bad (fines) the next day it is good (big innovative job creator).  I guess the Mercury should send out a good investigative reporter and figure out the facts and see just how much sweat is being produced in those shops. .

Posted: 31 January 2013 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Wynn,
Agreed. I don’t think that there is any question about GTM’s treatment of its employees.  This is not breaking news exactly. They will continue to do so as long as there are impoverished students and others who are trying to stay alive.
By the way, you are at 85 posts….fifteen more and you join the elite 4 boxers.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.