I am somewhat concerned about the Statue of Liberty
Posted: 30 January 2013 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I like to have my life organized, so I have, each week, theme movies.  You know, Westerns, old comedies, sci-fi.  This week I have been doing disaster films, and,in most of them, the statue of liberty is toppled.  I am wondering if it is still stable after being broken up so many times and then rebuilt.  The next time I visit New York, I must confess that I will be wary of going up in it.

Posted: 31 January 2013 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Isn’t “Statue of Liberty” a football play from the era when Snyder was a kid?  Shouldn’t this be in the “Sports” forum?  :>)

Michael, you watch movies.  I read books.  My favorite books are political thrillers.  I can only read four or five in a row and I have to move to something less captivating for a short while.  Why?  Well, it’s one of two things.  First, when you read story after story of how we about hit by terrorists and the CIA/FBI/Secret Service/Black Ops/Rogue Retired Government Assassin… and his girl friend… save the day you wonder how close to reality these novels are.  Or, you believe the threat is there, is kept at bay by dedicated and superbly trained government agencies and you see the political fighting in D.C. where politics would trump the safety of the citizenry… just to score media points. 

Fact… There ARE fanatics, both foreign and domestic, who would do harm to our way of life.  Fact… We are blessed to have the people in place to keep us safe.  Fact… Somewhere, sometime, one of those fanatics will be successful.  Good people will die, just as with 9-11.  We can wring our hands and hide in our closets or we can enjoy the freedoms and liberties we have become so accustomed to.  I, for one, will take advantage of what we are blessed with here in America.  If the Statue of Liberty should topple with me in it… If I happen to be collateral damage when that one act of terrorism is successful… The Good Lord has blessed me with a great time here on Earth and I am going to continue taking advantage of that.

I do despise the vehemence and hate we see displayed each and every day towards our President and our government.  When the likes of Fox, Limbaugh, Beck, etc. encourage the citizenry, not to support the government but to take it down, I’m certain one could see tears falling from the eyes of the very Statue of Liberty you reference.

Posted: 31 January 2013 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
Books are tedious and require better vision than I have.  I do write them from time to time, but never read them, and it is hard to eat clam chowder, or even a hamburger while reading a book…big screen TV…no problem.

Posted: 31 January 2013 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2012-10-10

Remember that 3 minutes when Liberty went missing after David Copperfield made it disappear? That was so they could take it in for repairs. It’s been pretty solid ever since.

Posted: 31 January 2013 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

It didn’t look too solid in “2012”.  I am still wary of going up in it.  Of course, those movies could be all pretend, and the actual statue, unharmed.  Still, I will err on the side of caution.

Posted: 31 January 2013 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Just to be safe, why don’t they move the SOL here to Manhattan, KS as they move Plum Island?  That way, we could benefit from outbreaks of Hoof and Mouth disease AND terrorist threats.  We could sit her right beside Johnny Kaw!!

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.