Street Patrol….
Posted: 13 October 2012 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Wonder if we could ever get a thread going where folks could report traffic signal, street maintenance issues they see.  Our City of Manhattan Street Department does a commendable job maintaining our streets.  I’ve driven many communitys and we are blessed to have the dedicated staff working for us here.  However, they cannot be everywhere.  And, some of the things that bug me may not be issues at all.  They may be the way someone has designed it… just to aggravate me.

Some I’ve noticed lately…

1.  Juliette and Ft. Riley Blvd.  When there’s no traffic out… 4 a.m., etc… the light defaults to Juliette.  FRB traffic has to stop and wait for the light to change.  Then, just as soon as the cars have passed, it defaults back to Juliette.  I would think that light should be set to default to FRB, the more traveled thoroughfare.

2.  3rd and Pierre.  Coming off the viaduct into Manhattan, there used to be a left had turn arrow to allow traffic a protected turn south, towards the Discovery Center.  Now, westbound off the viaduct, there is no left hand protected arrow and you have to wait until the eastbound traffic clears.  What happened to that protected left hand turn?

3.  3rd and Ft. Riley Blvd.  Who the heck put that large electrical control box on the northeast corner of the intersection???  Someone’s going to get smeared all over FRB, by not being able to see traffic comeing from the east… if you are southbound on 3rd.

4.  Exiting FRB, eastbound, onto Seth Childs.  The exit ramp allows BOTH lanes to make the left hand turn onto Seth Childs.  There is a single traffic sign to the south of the intersection showing this.  Strangers/visitors/newbies may not anticipate the outside land making that left hand turn.  Why can’t they hang a sign from the overhead traffic signal showing both lanes making the left hand turn.  I’ve been honked at, flipped off, and have had to drive on the shoulder as folks on the inside lane try to make a wide turn onto Seth Childs, using both lanes.

Posted: 16 October 2012 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-11-24

Your post touches on one of the issues we would love to get public feedback on, which is structurally dangerous intersections. I am not totally referring here merely to high accident counts, although that’s clearly a part of it. I’m also talking about intersections where the terrain or other existing conditions makes driving dangerous for pedestrians or motorists. One example exists for southbound traffic on Fifth Street crossing Leavenworth. Due to a combination of a rock wall, raised terrain and a pickup truck habitually but legally parked on Leavenworth, it is often difficult to impossible to see traffic approaching from the east until it is within crash range. A second example involves the exit from Hyvee onto Fourth Street near the roundabout, where cars legally parked at an angle in front of the Strasser Village apartments make it difficult for drivers to see traffic approaching from the south.

Posted: 16 October 2012 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Bill… I do believe forums like this could be quite advantageous to the community.  Issues like this could be discussed and those who might be able to solve them would respond.  On the “old” forum, Director Schoen… RCPD… took lots of time to respond to posters and their questions.  We cannot to that, however, with just one of two of us here.  What will The Mercury be doing to try revitalizing interest??  Now that you do require folks to use their names, will some of those who were turned off by the rantings of nameless monikers participate?  Will The Mercury perhaps run some advertising in the print paper to let folks know they can participate? 

I do believe things from traffic safety to school concerns to barking dogs to local attractions could be discussed.  There are still some who will type out a question or concern on their laptop and/or smart phone, yet have no idea who to call that can fix the problem.

Posted: 02 November 2012 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

If there were a “Like” button on the discussion board, I’d “Like” the City of Manhattan Street Department!!!!  I’ve had opportunity to drive the FRB & Juliette intersection and the 3rd & Pierre intersection in the past few days.  I appears both lights have been reset and are working properly!!!  Thanks!!!!  Ya do a GREAT job!!!!

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.