“Distrust”???? Surely not!!!
Posted: 22 January 2013 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

The Sunday Mercury had an article about the speaker at the annual “Take Your Manhattan Money to Overland Park” day.  The paper reports the speaker said there was distrust between the regional partners.  Representatives from Geary County, Junction City, and Ft. Riley all spoke to our City Commission in favor of the MPO.  A couple of the commissioners, one of which will be next year’s Mayor, wanted those neighbors to go pound sand.  I simply cannot understand why there would be any distrust…..

Posted: 22 January 2013 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
It is not only distrust, but, dislike.  Junction City is a threat to Manhattan because it is more progressive, Wamego is a threat because people who work in Manhattan move there because it is affordable, and, has cheaper taxes.  In spite of protests to the contrary, Manhattan is still a rather provincial community, which has the belief that it is somehow superior to the surrounding towns.

Posted: 22 January 2013 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10

Manhattan tells other communities to go pound sand pretty regularly. I seem to recall the animal shelter shutting Pott Co out of services, plus of course the MPO you mention. It’s an overwhelming community attitude, and I recall being treated poorly when I first moved here because I wasn’t “from” Manhattan. If a store owner asked to see my driver’s license (which we showed all the time back then, before ID theft was a huge problem) and saw it still said Wamego, I’d get poor service, might not even be “allowed” to buy what I wanted to. Almost never had that problem in JC or Topeka or any towns I visited.  I’ve been here a long time so I have privileges that new residents or younger people don’t, and I see them getting treated exactly the way I did when I was 18 and new in town. That was over two decades ago. The commission is going to have to extend themselves if they want any of those other communities to trust them. I hope they do, but I’m not holding my breath.

Posted: 22 January 2013 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

The topic was more about regional cooperation and distrust of motives.  Basically over the past year or so elements in the regional governments have not agreed on certain policies; specifically funding fixed route bus service, the size of the MPO map and the direction for the recently approved ½ cent sales tax.  Disagreement on fiscal policy is labeled distrust and or lack of cooperation.  A difference in opinion concerning policy is good.  We should not go along just to get along, we need to avoid falling victim to the Abilene Paradox.

We are never going to have full agreement on some items, but disagreement should not be labeled as mistrust.  Take for instance the discussion on fixed route and the large MPO map.  The City Commission voted not to support fixed route by majority vote of 3-2, based on budget.  Some of our regional partners like fixed route and would like to have the city fund it.  Members of the past Riley County Commission also wanted to spent more tax dollars on fixed route.  But the fact is that Manhattan only supported aTa (50k) for services such as safe ride and on call point to point service.  The mistrust that exists is that some folks believe that one of the agendas for the MPO is to champion fixed route regional bus service and force the funding of that service onto Manhattan (which pays 60% of the MPO cost).  Other may believe that the City Commission just has it out to sabotage ata.  Neither of those views is correct.  Better communication might improve the mistrust.  Everyone involved in the processes needs to clearly outline their intent and goals.  We should clearly state our positions so that everyone is aware of the difference in policy outlook.  The City has clearly stated that as a group we do not want to budget for or take part in fixed route bus service at this time; a simple statement of fact that should not be distorted.

On the MPO the city voted for the big map 3-2.  JC approved the agreement on a 4-1 vote.  Because certain members of both commissions did not agree with the cost of the MPO the votes were not unanimous.  Some call it lack of cooperation, but the system produced the big map MPO.  The votes are in and we will have the big map along with the six figure cost.  The disagreement is over.  Now we need to operate the MPO – Flint Hills MPO in the most fiscally sound manner possible.  I do not see any lack of cooperation in that effort.

Local governments need to put on the table the general policy positions that are being followed by the majority; there should be no secrets.  Open and clearly stated policy positions should eliminate any sense of mistrust.  Differences once recognized are a fact and should not be labeled as lack of cooperation.  Once the differences are determined, the groups can work towards any common goals that are identified.  Like in the case of the FHMPO, we will all cooperated on keeping the cost as reasonable as possible, but we will continue to disagree on fixed route bus service for the region.  That is a lot different than stating that the future Mayor told our neighbors to Pound Sand.

Posted: 22 January 2013 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Wynn,
Hahahahahahahahahahaha!  That is a good one.  Check your nose in the mirror.  Has it grown significantly?

Posted: 22 January 2013 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  479
Joined  2012-10-10

Michael- Glad you liked it, I did need to make a spelling correction on Sabotage.  Nose is the same large size as always.  It has been needed to hold up the glasses.

‹‹ Kansas Bill HB 2023      "Fieldhouse" ››

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.