Goodbye Hamburger Helper
Posted: 19 January 2013 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I was in the grocery store and talking to a meat department manager who happens to be a friend.  I asked him where the bargain hamburger was, and he said “Here.”  It was $2.98 per pound…and this was the cheap stuff…the one quarter fat type.  I shook my head and went on my way.
Now, in the olden days, hamburger kept people alive.  It was cheap and with the advent of Hamburger Helper, it could be stretched out to a full meal.  Four people could be stuffed for about a dollar and a half. Now, that is not feasible. Many steaks are cheaper by the pound than hamburger (which makes no sense, since unsold steak is ground into hamburger at most grocery stores).
I grew up on a farm so I was raised on chicken and eggs.  They were free.  All you had to do was grab one of the chickens, wring its head off and throw it into boiling water.  We ate a lot of chicken.  For the record and my liberal friends, I never once wringed a chicken’s neck.  My father took care of that.  He was also a fisherman…a good one.  Given the price of fish today, he could have been a millionaire. We had two freezers that were always filled with his catches.  I don’t like fish.  I didn’t like it then either.  The only fish I ever liked was when I was in Rockhampton, Australia.  They deep-fried it and wrapped it in newspaper…very tasty with malt vinegar.
My point is this: if hamburger is more expensive than steak, then why buy hamburger?  If you don’t buy hamburger, you have no use for Hamburger Helper.  The end of an era.
Oh, and while we are not on the subject, why is gasoline cheaper in Hooterville than in Manhattan?

Posted: 19 January 2013 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

1.  Gasoline finally did drop a little in Manhattan.  Finally at least competitive, even though the Colbert Hills Convenience Store CEO sucked his dollars out of the Manhattanites who couldn’t afford to drive elsewhere to fill their tanks.
2.  If the Good Lord woulda meant for us to eat fish, he’d have given them legs and fur. Fish taste like they smell… awful!  Wife is on a health kick and buys something called Talapiawful.  Whatever it is, she’s tried to tell me how good it is for us.  Never liked fish.
3.  We grew up eating the entire steer, when it was slaughtered.  Cold tongue sandwiches.. beef brains and eggs… beef liver… heart sandwiches… Nothing was wasted.  Probably why my cholesterol is out of sight today!  The hamburger in the stores, today, can be found in a prism of various colors.  I think it’s all got dye in it to make it look fresh.
4.  We butchered our own chickens.  Pulled their heads off and let ‘em flop around.  Dunked ‘em in boiling water and pulled the feathers off.  Mom would singe the pin feathers off over the kitchen stove and the entire house would stink for a couple of days.  People won’t eat possum or beaver or muskrat or, even, horse meat cause they think it’s “yucky”.  If anyone has ever cleaned out chicken houses, there is nothing dirtier… filthier than chickens.
5.  I enjoy eating pork.  You can get some good buys on pork in the store.  I do miss the homemade bacon we used to get at the local locker plant.  It was a little salty, but really tasty.

Posted: 19 January 2013 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

But, what about our green boxes?

Posted: 20 January 2013 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
I spent a few weeks staying in Xania, Crete.  There was a large indoor mall which was located in an old school which looked like a temple.  It was neat BUT there were rows and rows of fish markets, and the stench was too much for me.  I generally share your views on water food…I make an exception for shrimp and prawns, the latter of which cannot be found in Manhattan Kansas…but are very prevalent in Asian countries.  If you are not familiar with them, think shrimp, only ten times larger.  In Thailand they have these flat fish, which they char and eat like potato chips…head, tail and all.  They are about ten cents apiece…our money.  You can get a platter of prawns there for about $2.  Two prawns, however, make a meal for most people.  The only other fish I like is the fried kind that you find in the UK and Australia…wrapped in newspaper and served with malt vinegar…very tasty.

Posted: 21 January 2013 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10
Michael Hadley - 19 January 2013 08:03 PM

All you had to do was grab one of the chickens, wring its head off and throw it into boiling water.  We ate a lot of chicken.

A glimpse into the fascinating life of Michael Hadley, Esq.

Posted: 21 January 2013 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Stacia,
The term “Esq” in the United States implies an attorney.  We wouldn’t want to mislead folks. :-)

Posted: 22 January 2013 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10

I know what it means, Michael. It was a joke.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.