1 2 > 
1 of 2
As if my opinion mattered
Posted: 17 January 2013 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Here is the way I would support the commission candidates.  Matta and Butler are a given, of course.  Pepperd will not run, and that leaves three seats.  I believe that the best balance we could have on the commission would be Bob Strawn, Debbie Nuss, and, at this point, Rich Jankovich.  All three are somewhat moderate with Nuss leaning toward the left and Bob to the right.  Jankovich fits into the middle.  I believe this group might be able to forward a moderate commission that would balance fiscal responsibility with controlled progress while balancing the budget without excluding social services.
I was right before Larry…trust me on this one. Hahaha

Posted: 17 January 2013 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  799
Joined  2012-10-10

Yep, Michael… You “Hootervilleites” have no say in who we elect to govern our fair city.  I do look forward to this election.  Honestly, we’ve had an excellent group this past couple of years.  They’ve worked hard to contain the spending and come up with solutions for the escalating property tax burden.  I hope we see Rich re-elected.  He has been a voice of reason and common sense.  I have been extremely impressed with Rich’s display of integrity, recusing himself in ANY instace where there might be an appearance of impropriety.  Rich will get my vote, solely on my confidence in having an elected official openly display the integrity that I expect from any who aspire to elected office.

I would also like to see Bob re-elected.  I do believe he had the good of Manhattan at heart when he previously served.  John, Wynn, Bob, and Rich will all work towards solving the fiscal challenges we currenlty have in Manhattan.  I may not agree, completely, with some of the solutions John and Wynn recommend.  I do believe Bob and Rich will offer some moderation to the discussions and the 4 will come up with available means to move Manhattan forward.

The fifth seat, I believe, will be won by Ms. McCulloh.  She has too long a history and too many political “friends”.  McCulloh will, for the most part, take the seat of Sherow and present a much more liberal view of fiscal policy than the other four.  If those five were seated, we would have Matta at one end of the spectrum and McCulloh at the other.  Wynn, Bob, and Rich would be somewhere between and present some interesting discussion to entertain on Tuesday eveings.

As the campaigns unfold and the “spittin’ contests” begin, we may see some shuffling of how one would bet on the election results.  It’s just refreshing to see a large number of good people toss their hats in the ring.

Posted: 17 January 2013 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10
Larry Williams - 17 January 2013 03:46 PM

She has too long a history and too many political “friends”.

This from the guy who actively campaigned to get the old boards completely deleted, something that will certainly help his friend Bob Strawn, who wouldn’t want the general populace to see his years of bigoted remarks, lies, harassment, or multiple comments about how much he liked Minnesota over Kansas.

Bob has plenty of “political friends.” You’re one of them. Don’t be a hypocrite.

Posted: 18 January 2013 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Stacia…
1.  I have no idea why you think I “actively campaigned to get the old boards completely deleted”.  Once The Mercury deemed their offering would be this new format, it made no sense to have the old format continue and have parallel boards.  I did ask that the old board be disabled, so none could post.  If they wanted to archieve the old boards for reference… so be it.  Made no difference to me.
2.  Your dislike for Mr. Stawn is well known.  That is your privilege.  My word!  If we all thought alike… If we all held the same political bent as everyone else… If we were not allowed to dislike certain people and their idealogies… it would be a quite boring world.  We’d be a bunch of robots.  Personally, I appreciate the job Bob attempted to do while seated as a City Commissioner.  Bob and I have held numerous discussions, mostly on the “old board”.  Face to face, Bob and I have met once… ONCE.  I doubt he would even recognize me if we passed on the street.
3.  I did state that I felt Ms. McCulloh had “many political friends”.  So does Bob, Rich, Debbie, etc.  My point was that I believe this slate of candidates, so far, is pretty well right or left.  IMHO, the only one who is center/moderate is Jankovich.  Bob and the other gentleman… his name escapes me… lean right.  Nuss, McCulloh, and others lean left.  At this point in time, I only see one left leaning candidate having a possibility of being elected.  That is simply a matter of beliving Rich and Bob will receive the highest number of votes, with one of the left leaning candidates coming in third.  If only one of the more liberal candidates is elected, Ms. McCulloh has a much longer tenure in the local political arena and does have more “political friends” than the other left leaning candidates.
4.  Oh, you suggest I am a “political friend” of Bob’s.  Ummm… I vote, but I hold no political chips in this community.  I have been vocal, on this board, about my dislike for the Chamber… and I have alienated both right and left.  I’m just one who spends some time at a keyboard, attempting to stimulate thought and discussion.  No politician in his/her right mind would ever consider me a “political friend”.  I’ve upset too many of the monied that will assist in determining who wins and who loses elections in this community.

Posted: 18 January 2013 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

Oh, but there’s still “tmcat.” 

http://cjonline.com/sports/2012-11-01/kevin-haskin-cat-fans-experience-bcs-anxiety

Posted: 18 January 2013 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
Like you, I am no political animal.  I can like…or dislike…a person, regardless of his/her political views.  For example, I am wary of consolidation of city/county.  This could end up costing me money.  Right now, I am somewhat immune to the fecklessness of Manhattan, because I live in Hooterville…By the way, we are called Hootervillains or Leonardvillains…we are not “ites”.  We still harbor a deep resentment towards Manhattan who, through political shenanigans, denied us the county seat when we were the larger, more prosperous city in the county.
A consolidation might mean spreading the debt around, and Manhattan’s willy-nilly spending on nonsense projects could cost me some money whilst I would receive nothing in return except an increased property tax bill to fund new trees in the middle of Poyntz, or new plants on Snead’s ditch, or covering the losses on the Discovery Center….or building bridges to nowhere.

Posted: 18 January 2013 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

MIchael, you have a right to be concerned with being “handed” the bill for a statue of Leonardo DaVinci atop a traffic hazard at 4th & Bluemeont… if some such work of art is deemed necessary there.  I have a problem with my property taxes having to fund the Taj Mahal of road shops… the Grand Mall of Materials and Maintenance… the County constructed north of town.  I have difficulty stomaching the the purchase of City vehicles to run errands to the airport when we probably are paying for County vehicles to follow along with another errand.  Why should we have an IT department at City Hall and and IT department at the County?  Do we really need duplication of the upper IT management? 
Most of all, why are we paying disc jockeys and retired carpenters… neither of which have one lick of public administration education or experience big bucks to manage the County, when we have professional administrative talent on staff at 11th & Poyntz? 
Consolidation might also demand a revised charter for RCPD and get the budgetary oversight with elected officials and out of the hands of the Law Board.  Consolidation might demand Joint Commission Meetings be held at times similar to City Commission meetings so taxpayers could see and hear what is happening.  Instead, we allow the County to continue their “public” meetings during hours when the constituency is working, not recorded for public viewing. 

Is consolidation the way to go?  Will consolidation add to your taxes and not mine… or visa versa??  Until someone performs some in depth evaluation, we don’t know.  With efficiencies realized through the removal of redundancies, might both of our taxes go down?  It makes a lot more sense to me to send some salaried County Commissioners packing instead of seeing the City take food and clothing away from those in need of assistance.  But, then, those who will see their “kingdoms” disinigrate will be the most vocal in suggesting the sky will fall if consolidation is even whispered.

Posted: 18 January 2013 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-21

Mr. Felber’s article in Friday’s edition states “there hasn’t been one [a primary] in more than a decade.”  There was a primary in 2005, in case anyone is interested.  The candidates that I remember included Mark Hatesohl, Tom Phillips, Brad McCune, Jayme Morris-Hardeman, Jim Sherow, Matt Schindler, Vincent Tracey, and Sam Robinson.  At that time, only 7 candidates had to be on the ballot to force a primary (one more than twice the number of seats).

Posted: 18 January 2013 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Be kind Kathy.  Preciseness is not Felber’s forte.  His talent is bellowing, and preciseness has nothing whatsoever to do with that. He is a great football prognosticator however…”.KSU don’t get no respect”...posted the same day that the “No Respecters” got routed in a bowl game.

Posted: 18 January 2013 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-21

I was kind.  I didn’t call anyone names or make any threats.  Just stated a fact, although facts are apparently a matter of opinion these days.  Well, geez, if one is going to make a sweeping statement such as “there hasn’t been [a primary] in more than a decade,” one might have bothered to check one’s archives for the accuracy of said statement.

Posted: 18 January 2013 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Kathy,
I am sure Felber would tell you that facts are simply overrated.  Bloviation, however, is underrated. Bill’s specialty is bloviation. You need to get over this “fact” obsession if you plan on staying in Manhattan. It is just not too popular here with the newspaper and its minions.

Posted: 18 January 2013 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Just more of the “investigative journalism” The Mercury staff is renowned for. 

Speaking of investigative journalism, a couple of the recent City Commission meetings saw a need to adjourn to Executive Session.  The reason was for attorney/client discussion of litigation.  Was that litigation the School District suit re water?  Or, is there another matter the City is involved in?

Posted: 18 January 2013 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10
Larry Williams - 18 January 2013 05:44 AM

Stacia…
1.  I have no idea why you think I “actively campaigned to get the old boards completely deleted”.  Once The Mercury deemed their offering would be this new format, it made no sense to have the old format continue and have parallel boards.  I did ask that the old board be disabled, so none could post.  If they wanted to archieve the old boards for reference… so be it.  Made no difference to me.
2.  Your dislike for Mr. Stawn is well known.  That is your privilege.  My word!  If we all thought alike… If we all held the same political bent as everyone else… If we were not allowed to dislike certain people and their idealogies… it would be a quite boring world.  We’d be a bunch of robots.  Personally, I appreciate the job Bob attempted to do while seated as a City Commissioner.  Bob and I have held numerous discussions, mostly on the “old board”.  Face to face, Bob and I have met once… ONCE.  I doubt he would even recognize me if we passed on the street.

(snipped)

Larry, the thread is still up, right here. You and others encouraged the other board to be shut down because it was just “old heads who are reluctant to use their real names.” Which is a lie, as I have explained many times. Isn’t my name really Stacia? Randall’s name is Randall. I don’t remember the others who were still on the old board toward the end, but I don’t think there were ever more than half the people who used completely made up names… and Larry, YOU WERE ONE OF THEM.

You chose to parrot Bob’s lie that the old forum needed to be done away with because real names on a new forum meant people would act more civil toward each other. Bob scarpered from this new forum pretty quickly, never really enjoying it after the dozens of posts he made about how this new forum would fix everything. The old forum with all his anti-Semitic pictures, vague physical threats, links to the proof that he was trolling on other forums as “tmcats,” comments about how Minnesota was so much better than Kansas… all gone. In part because he had support from people like you who bought into Bob’s lie that OTHERS were the trolls on that board, that Bob was just a victim.

It’s likely Bob wanted the forum gone for more reasons than alleged civility. In retrospect, it seems curious that Bob, who gets a free platform from the print version of The Merc on occasion, would want the old forum deleted, get his way, then disappear from the new one, then suddenly announce running for office.

If you meant you don’t hold any “political chips” then I agree, you aren’t a political friend in that definition. I had no idea you had barely met Bob; you have recently said not only that Bob told you he wasn’t running, but you said something rather personal about his family that gave you reason to believe he wouldn’t run. You truly make it sound like you are friends.

And I do still consider you a political friend in the sense that you are doing a lot of Bob’s heavy lifting on the PR front, helping him, perhaps unintentionally (which I think happened with Michael not so long ago when Bob asked him to come to the old forum to scold us all for being big meanieheads), to cover his tracks. Allowing him to spout all manner of vile things for whatever reason, then delete it or, at least, have people available to excuse it away.

It has nothing to do with “everyone has their own opinion,” and I would thank you to remember that. You also need to stifle the implication that my opinions are so “well known” I should just stop saying them; the same goes for you, and you would never think of self censoring just because your opinions are already “well known.”

Thanks.

Posted: 18 January 2013 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10
Kathy Dzewaltowski - 18 January 2013 04:52 PM

I was kind.  I didn’t call anyone names or make any threats.  Just stated a fact, although facts are apparently a matter of opinion these days.  Well, geez, if one is going to make a sweeping statement such as “there hasn’t been [a primary] in more than a decade,” one might have bothered to check one’s archives for the accuracy of said statement.

And look, we can still see the ballot from the primaries! Hilarious. That took me 10 seconds to find, and I stink at using search engines. I guess he was just “rounding off,” thinking “almost eight years” is close enough to a decade.

Posted: 18 January 2013 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Stacia,
I am not sure what you are talking about.  I certainly never encouraged anyone to delete forums, or forum content, nor do I support or attack anyone running for public office. I am relatively neutral on the subject.
Lighten up a bit.

Posted: 19 January 2013 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-21

Hadley, I think Stacia is referring to just your defense of Strawn on the old forums.  You’ve never attacked Brownback or Snead?  I’ll give you a little of the benefit of the doubt with Snead because he last ran for office in 2007, which was about when the really old forums started and you may not have said anything about him while he was running for office.

Larry, in addition to the school district and the water issue, I think there’s a legal matter with the social services’ petition that the majority of the commissioners rejected as invalid.  I think there was some sort of action filed in district court to get an opinion about the petition.

Felber’s comment said “more than a decade,” which implies longer than 10 years and I would not interpret it as meaning 8 years was rounded to 10.  Maybe he meant to say “there hasn’t been a primary since last decade.”  As written, it looks like his facts were based on what he personally remembered.

1 2 > 
1 of 2

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.