From cats to nuts
Posted: 15 January 2013 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I came down this morning to discover that my cats had discovered the large bowl of nuts that I keep in the den.  They had dug in and strewn… especially the walnuts…about the room.  When I came down the stairs, they were batting them about in a game of kitty soccer.  They had pretty much emptied the bowl except for some hard black nuts.  I don’t know the actual name of those and out of a sense of propriety will not call them what my father did.  I never did know the real name of them.  Macadameons?  Does that ring a bell with anyone?
By the way, I know this is more like a tweet, so don’t tell me.  The quietude here is deafening, so I will keep you up to date on the antics of Caticus, Felinicus and Underfooticus until we get into more lofty discussions.

Posted: 15 January 2013 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

I’m guessing they’re brazil nuts, based on my father’s being of an age to have also called them by an appropriate nickname, and brazil nuts were what he was referring to.

(oops, meant “inappropriate nickname”)

[ Edited: 15 January 2013 06:38 PM by Kathy Dzewaltowski ]

Posted: 15 January 2013 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Christmas being the time of mixed nuts, we were just commenting over the holidays about the same thing… what those large black nuts used to be referred to as.  It was as unappropriate, then, as it is now.  We just didn’t know it.

Posted: 15 January 2013 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Kathy,
I did a bit of internet research and you are right…they are Brazil nuts.  I think all of our parents and grandparents used the non pc term to describe them…hahaha..I don’t think it was necessarily racist in intent.

Posted: 15 January 2013 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Anyone remember “Eeny meeney miney mo, catch a…............

Posted: 15 January 2013 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Or, when something was repaired with baling wire and duct tape it was “..... - rigged”.

We grew up in a different time… a different environment.  There were no people of color in my home town.  Now and then, railroad crews would come through town and those crews would be made up of Native Americans.  We would be scared to death until they left town.  We shopped and doctored in Junction City.  When there, we would see people of color and it was “okay” because they lived there and not in “our” town.  In 1967, shortly after my wife and I were married, we moved to Junction City and enjoyed friendships with a quite diverse group of neighbors and co-workers.  Will never forget one black work associate.  Sgt. Walker told me, “You’d never allow a black in your home!”  I told him, “Come on over.  You’ll be more than welcome!”  He showed up at our front door.  We invited him in. He and I joked for weeks about how he was the “first”!!! 
Later, we were foster parents to many children of diverse ethnicities.  My wife brought many newborns home from the hospital that we kept until adoptive homes could be found.  We never thought twice about opening our home to children of other races. 

Archie Bunker was not an anomoly.  His portrayal of a bigoted racist was entirely too close to a truthful picture of many of those we grew up with… and, perhaps ourselves if we wanted to admit it!!

Posted: 15 January 2013 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
I understand what you mean.  I grew up in a place called Willowbrook…just outside of Hutchinson.  The only black person I ever met was Henry who was my grandmother’s lawn boy.  He was my age but my grandmother refused to let me play with him, telling me that it simply wasn’t appropriate.  My high school was all white, and then I went to TCU which also was all white.  The only black people we saw were those that were bussed over from the east side of Ft Worth to work in the cafeteria.  They were rude and hateful.  Might have had something to do with the fact that they were paid $.35 an hour to serve rich white kids. I really had nothing against them because I had never been around them.  TCU was finally integrated…hahaha…thanks to a 7’ 2” basketball player who turned out to be a dud.  Such is life.

‹‹ I Love It!!      Home for the homeless ››

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.