A Muffled Complaint
Posted: 10 January 2013 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

When I was a young lad, I was stopped by the police and ticketed for a noisy muffler.  I wonder what happened to that law.  It is apparently no longer on the books.
Now, as most of you know, I live in Hooterville.  In Hooterville, there are, I believe, three of us who have mufflers on our vehicles.  The rest do not.  Rumor has it that the more affluent residents have them removed at the dealership, the rest just let them fall off.  We seem to be trendsetters.  I have noticed that there are an abundant number of vehicles in Manhattan which are similarly unequipped. Over here, it is a constant rumble.  It is hard to tell whether we are having a thunderstorm, the fort is shooting off cannons, or if folks are just driving around.
Near my house, there is a garage.  At night some of the youngsters gather there.  Midnight Mechanics.  Anyway they arrive after dark and go through the same ritual every night. First, they start up one of the beaters, and rev it for a bit…Blum.Blum, Blum…then they turn it off and open and close the doors for about five minutes, then restart it and rev for five minutes or so….repeat ad infinitum. Their sole purpose in doing this is to annoy me, I am certain.  Last night, they woke me up at seven-thirty and kept me up until I wore myself out swearing and invoking the Gods of Peace and Quiet.
While we are doing ordinances Wynn, how about one that puts a stop to loud vehicles?

Posted: 10 January 2013 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

MIchael… the Manhattan City Commission has nothing to do with an ordinance that would place limits on noise in “Hooterville”.  If that were the case, this Commission would simply suggest there is already too much government and you are free to move if you don’t like the noise.  If we end up with a third Tea Party favorite seated in April, more ordinances will be tossed and more chaos will prevail.

Does “Hooterville” have a local noise ordinance?  If so, contact RCPD… point out the ordinance to them… and ask them to enforce it.  RCPD may actually enforce ordinances in “Hooterville”.  In Manhattan, they are requested to not enforce fireworks ordinances, etc. since too many of the politically elite might be embarrassed to have their names in the paper.  ALL ordinances should be enforced!!  We seem intent on citing people with sidewalks slightly out of kilter… but allow their neighbors to toss fireworks in the street or at neighboring homes.  We cite people for driving drunk, but champion drunkfests if… IF they bring bucks to Aggieville.

You also might want to investigate who the kids belong to that are responsible for all the vehicle noise in “Hooterville”.  Could be, you have some local politics on the side of the offenders.

Of course… even at my age, Michael, 7:30 is a little early to ask kids to not be kids.

Posted: 10 January 2013 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

7:30 is the middle of the night, Larry.  Night begins at dark, and everyone should be quiet after that.  I don’t think we have ordinances in Hooterville.  We are not as progressive as Manhattan.  Bad dogs here are murdered…no ordinance required. We don’t seem to have a problem with bad animals…Of course, the commission cannot supervise Hooterville..  OfficerSchuck neatlly took care of the ride on mowers that were terrorizing us.  We don’t see them much anymore except for one little green one that sneaks out after he sees the officer leave.  He scoots up and down the alleys and backways, spewing fumes and noise.

Posted: 10 January 2013 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2012-10-11

You guys are too funny sometimes.
Sometime back I think I was told something on the order that it is hard to judge a given distance of 50 feet. Therefore the noisy radios rattling windows when the noise was over 50’ from the vehicle well that was just too difficult to judge. Like a city block or two may or may not be over 50’. Besides I would guess an officer would have to be there at the time of the infraction. Then of course if you have a two wheeled ride you are not required to have mufflers to muffle noise, so it seems. The louder the better, set at stop lights and signs and rev up that motor for everyone in a three block radius to enjoy. Then accelerate in such bursts to rattle windows as you enjoy your ride down the road, wind in your ears and bugs in your teeth.

As for dogs, well what ordinance anyway? I have seen many pit bulls going around with OUT muzzles and even a few without leases.

Still there are many drivers talking on phones while driving, seems to be more dangerous now mainly from them watching for RPD. Driving with one eye on the road so they can hide the phones, even then some do not even try to hide it. Guess they have plenty of money for the ticket, provided one ever gets written. Need to see some names in the paper I guess for moving violations.

So see Michael it would not matter about the ordinance here or there. I do not see them being enforced anyway. Hope ya have a good night’s rest.

Posted: 10 January 2013 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Just lamenting Dave.  I don’t expect anything to change regarding this, but venting is good for the soul.  It is quiet tonight.  Apparently the children are afraid of fog and rain, so, all is peaceful, except for the fact that I inadvertently left the bedroom door ajar and now have a bed full of cats who are not inclined to give up their spots.  I will have to sleep on the sofa I guess.  Such is life. We all have trials and tribulations…except for the cats, of course…mine are fat and spoiled.  I wonder who made them that way?

Posted: 10 January 2013 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2012-10-11

Don’t get clawed in the night. Ha ha Scared of fog and rain, you bet. Could be they might melt.

Posted: 10 January 2013 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Well, I must admit, Dave, my kittens have mauled several children, but, given my stature in the community, I have managed to cover this up.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.