Everybody thinks they’re a politician…..
Posted: 08 January 2013 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

Well, McCulloh has filed for the Commission.  From spending City money to spending County money to spending City money.  This is reminiscnet of the movie “Groundhog Day”!!!

How many more will announce?  How many candidates file before we are required to have a primary election?  If the current cast of characters is it, we will have Jankovich, McCulloh, and Boyd elected.  The “there are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners” guy won’t stand a chance.  With those three, McCulloh would simply displace Sherow as the lone/lonely liberal.  We would have three Tea Party patrons (Matta, Butler, and Boyd), one commons sense commissioner (Jankovich) and McCulloh.  If Pepperd runs again, we most likely will see deja vu of the current commission, with the only change being McCulloh for Sherow.  The political bent would remain extremely socially conservative.

If another liberal runs, in an attempt to seat two on the Commission, could they garner the votes to overcome the conservative faction who want Boyd?  It would be interesting to see a totally split commission, with Jankovich being the swing vote.  Rich has shown, IMHO, a real effort to put politics aside and consider community first.  Hmm… Matta/Butler vs McCulloh/???, with Jankovich being “The Decider”.  Could make for some very interesting commission meetings.

Posted: 08 January 2013 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I thought she was retiring.  There was a nice fluff piece in the Mercury about her retiring from public service.  I guess she changed her mind.  She said something about spending more time with her family.  I guess spending other peoples money is more fun.  Ya gotta love professional politicians.

Posted: 08 January 2013 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  478
Joined  2012-10-10

Mr. Boyd has been elected to the County Commssion.  I thnk you have this one wrong.  It is Mr. Hogan the Army Vet that is a candidate.

Posted: 09 January 2013 06:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

My mistake, Wynn.  Too many politicians to keep them all straight.  (Woops!  Probably shouldn’t use that word.  It’s not PC anymore!!!!)

Posted: 09 January 2013 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

Or perhaps Mr. Williams means John Ball.  The filing deadline isn’t until Jan. 22, so that’s still a ways off and quite likely more candidates will file before the deadline.  I hope more candidates file for school board.

Posted: 09 January 2013 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

All I know is that 4 candidates have filed, so far…
Ms. McCulloh
Rich Jankovich
A leader of the local Tea Party
A candidate whose only issue is legalizing dangerous dogs so they can maul the citizenry.

Yes, we need more candidates…..

Posted: 09 January 2013 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

I think the current candidate list is:

Rich Jankovich (incumbent City Commissioner)
John Ball (Member of the Urban Planning Board, Member of FOSZ, Retired US Army and Current Da Civilian Fort Riley)
Karen McCulloh (Former Riley County and Manhattan City Commissioner/Mayor)
Daniel Hogan (Army Veteran)

Posted: 09 January 2013 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Rich Jankovich (incumbent City Commissioner)
John Ball (Member of the Urban Planning Board, Member of FOSZ, Retired US Army and Current Da Civilian Fort Riley)  Board Member Flint Hills Tea Party Education Fund.  Whether using ‘Tea Party’ and ‘education’ in the same sentence is an oxymoron is debatable…
Karen McCulloh (Former Riley County and Manhattan City Commissioner/Mayor)
Daniel Hogan (Army Veteran) Only campaign platform issue is to legalize owning pit bulls and rottweilers.

Posted: 09 January 2013 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

The FHTP Education Fund sponsors a Constitution Bee each year and awards scholarships.  That appears to be a good deal.  The city does have a dog ordinance; in fact we most likely have an ordinance that covers almost any topic under the sun, so any of those ordinances could be a campaign item.  It will be interesting to evaluate the final list of candidates from the standpoint of issues.  If any come out against cats, then I am sure they will have to deal with Michael.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.