Third joins city commission field
Posted: 07 January 2013 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2012-10-11

In the paper I read that Daniel Hogan had put his hat in the City Commission race. I wonder, how far will he get when the only thing he wants to change (to start with) is to do away with the vicious dog ordinance? Are you kidding me, maybe some reading would be a good plan before attempting to convince me and others that your philosophy is correct.

I guess we need to add Kansas to the list of states below and he would be happy. I am sure there are more important things to do than change the vicious dog ordinance in Manhattan

(Below is some information based on http://www.edgarsnyder.com/dog-bite/dog-bite-statistics.html)

Between the years of 2005 and 2011, Pit Bulls killed about one person every 20 days. Rottweilers killed about one person every 88 days.

The states that had the most fatal dog attacks in 2011 were California and Texas. Other states with deaths included North Carolina, Virginia, New Mexico, and South Carolina.

Posted: 07 January 2013 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

The 2nd Amendment folk can say all day, “Guns don’t kill people, people kill people!”  Hogan needs to understand that dogs DO kill people.  A two year old child was mauled to death in Topeka just a couple months ago.
We have a young community.  There are lots of folks who enjoy walking, jogging, and bicycling.  These “pedestrian” activites can be extremely inviiting to a killer dog who has escaped his leash/pen.  The single, irresponsible agenda of allowing dangerous… killer dogs in our community is reason enough to not see this guy get any further than spending his dog food dollars on campaign signs.

Posted: 07 January 2013 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2012-10-11

How many people is he willing to give up?
To site a little closer to Manhattan,

In trial that Court TV taped out of Junction City, Kansas in January, a 27-year old woman faces a murder charge in connection with the killing of an 11-year old boy by her Rottweiler dogs.  referenced:  http://leerburg.com/rotkill2.htm

Also
Have a look at this SURVIVOR (  http://www.topix.com/forum/city/junction-city-ks/TRELCRP1VAK9P9L4V

Posted: 07 January 2013 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2012-10-10

Sad thing is, we are “blessed” with a commission majority that feels government is “evil”.  And, another Tea Party fanatic is running for commission in the April election cycle.  I wouldn’t be surprised if that Tea Party majority would easily be swayed that restricting killer dogs from the community is “Nanny Government” intrusion.  Safety of our citizens could well be sacrificed for political agenda.

Posted: 08 January 2013 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

I think I would have a problem with a candidate who “just wants to try something different”, and whose only platform is protecting vicious dogs. “Dogs don’t kill people, people kill dogs.”....Wait, I think I messed that up.  I’ll get back to you on this….let’s see…“dogs don’t kill people, guns kill dogs”...no, that’s not right either…let me think this out.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.