1 2 > 
1 of 2
Felber…. Take off the blinders!!!!
Posted: 06 January 2013 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  796
Joined  2012-10-10

Today’s Mercury has an editorial piece by Bill Felber, otherwise known as the Second-in-Command-Big-Cheese on staff at a small town newspaper.  Felber authors a rather lengthy column titled “The Four Personalities of Manhattan”.  Felber lists the four “personalities” of Manhattan as 1) KSU student and their “coming of age” at the Faux Patty’s Day drunkfest and the Country Stampede drunkfest, 2) the Riley County Fair, 3) KSU football, and 4) the Aggieville sponsored New Years Ball Drop.  Having been a resident of Manhattan nearly 40 of my 66 years, Felber needs to remove the blinders, open his eyes… and mind… as to what Manhattan’s real personalities are!!!

To define OUR community by the number of alcohol related activites and college football program is an injustice.  Manhattan is a dynamic community with a myriad of diverse personalities.  But, if the Gospel According to Felber limits the categories to four….

1.)  KSU… Our community IS defined by the personality of a major university.  Traits of that personality are traffic issues as students return, community supported beer bashes with vomit and urine in the streets, a phenomonal contingent of those from across the world furthering their education, world renowned scholars, great athletic programs that bring dollars and visitors to the community, and a staff of professionals that contribute significantly to civic involvement in our town.

2.)  Ft. Riley… One of the most prevelant personalities of our community is the military contingent.  Spend time in retail establishments, restaurants, one the street and you cannot miss the many dressed in their “work attire” of camo and combat boots.  We are blessed to have those who are willing to give life and limb to protect what we hold so dear as part of our community.  Manhattan also benefits from the many who retire from the military and remain here as solid citizens… great assets to our community.

3.)  Medical… If anyone has lived here more than a handful of years, you will remember when anything beyond a stubbed toe or smashed finger required a trip to Topeka, Kansas City, or Wichita for medical attention.  Today, Manhattan is blessed with the state-of-the-art Mercy Regional.  We have cardiovascular surgeons.  An orthopedic group in Manhattan has national recognition.  From orthodonics to opthamology… from physical therapy to mental therapy… from oncology to urology… from obstetricians to dieticians… Manhattan has become a regional powerhouse, benefitting the citizens with the latest in medical technology.

4.)  Agriculture…  Yes, we have all the above and are still located in the Flint Hills of Kansas.  In how many communities can you see a “rice-burner”, low-rider, blaring rap music running side by side with an aged farm truck loaded with wheat or soybeans?  How many communites that benefit from the three personalities listed above can you drive less than five miles from the city and see herds of cattle, people on horseback, deer, buffalo, and even a camel or two?  Agriculture plays a large part in the cirricula at KSU, was instrumental in Manhattan’s ability to vie for NBAF, is a major contributor to the economy that fires the region, and defines the history of our geographical region.

I’m sorry, Mr. Felber!!  If you honestly believe the personality of OUR community is limited to the university focused events and activities you suggest in the editorial piece, you have not “defined” our community… you have insulted it!!  You need to spend more time out IN the community and less time attempting to define it by the limited events that see print in your newspaper!!!!

Posted: 06 January 2013 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

Larry,
Be kind.  Bill has had a bad week or so.  First he listed all the bad routes to Phoenix.  Then there was his “K State don’t get no respect ” column which came out the same day KSU was routed by Oregon.
I read the column you are referring to, and my initial reaction was “Huh?”. 
Manhattan has ONE diverse personality, but, it is essentially just a small midwestern college town made up of many different facets.  It is not all that unique.  Most little towns with a successful football program and a U are the same.  We are no different from Stillwater or Norman or Ames…just a small town with a big university…and a fort nearby.
By the way Larry…where did you see those camels?  Are you smoking the same stuff as Bill?

[ Edited: 06 January 2013 10:52 AM by Michael Hadley ]

Posted: 06 January 2013 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Hudson used to have quite a few camels pastured near the Deep Creek exit on I-70.  Don’t know if they stll “reside” there or not.  Having relatives in the Deep Creek area, we would often see the camels as we visited that area… or as we drove past on the interstate.

Posted: 06 January 2013 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Ah yes…and I remember seeing the Rhinoceros over on Moro.  That, was, of course after an evening in Aggieville drinking with two giraffes.

Posted: 06 January 2013 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

http://cjonline.com/stories/032005/dki_kancamels.shtml

Michael, according to this CJOnline article, the camels were moved to Texas in 2005.  But, as you can see from the article, they WERE there… not just long-legged, hump-backed Jersey milk cows.

Posted: 06 January 2013 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Of course they were, Larry.  I don’t doubt you.  There are many of them in Bahrain and Dubai.  I even had my picture taken astride one who talked.  He said he had been to Kansas on several occasions, but preferred Bahrain…better climate…camel-wise…...people wise, for that matter.  No snow, no nasty cold….smoke wherever you want.  Much more comfortable than the “land of the free”....and, of course, there is the Lobby Bar in the Gulf Hotel, although camels are not allowed in there…except on special occasions.

Posted: 07 January 2013 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2012-10-11

Don’t get too excited Larry I have seen those critters (camels) you talk about before they moved, and at that location. Guess Michael just never got out too much to view the flint hills and what lives there. Or, maybe he has had one too many glasses of wine.

proof readin helps sometimes. . .  geezzzzz

Posted: 07 January 2013 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

Too many glasses of wine?  I am not the one who is seeing camels in Kansas.  I should correct an earlier statement.  There are a few camels in Dubai, but most were traded in for Rolls-Royces which don’t require a lot of water either.  The best place to view camels is going through the Suez Canal.  They wander freely, and, of course, there is the smell of the date palms.

Posted: 07 January 2013 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2012-10-21

How about the zebras?  I never could catch a glimpse of the zebras until a friend told me exactly where to be on the look out for them, which is near the Maple Hill exit.  They blend in remarkably well.

Posted: 07 January 2013 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-11

Yes I have seen those Zebras. Forgot about those being out there.

Posted: 07 January 2013 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10

Larry, for a lot of people living in Manhattan, especially those who have been here a long time, that list really does exemplify all they care about. It’s K-State sports, the Stampede, and the rodeo and/or fair for them, nothing else.

Posted: 07 January 2013 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-11

Stacia, really? For those that have been here a long time? Some of us are tired of outsiders wanting to change us to be as it was where they came from. Here’s an idea, if that was such a great place go back there. Some of the changes that have been made are not for the better. Stop putting chunks of concrete in the middle of the roads and building new structures to be a tax burden. Stop telling us that the top 4 listed vicious dogs are not going to harm “anyone”. Really? All the trees cut down on Bluemont back before all the changes Manhattan was better looking and safer for pedestrians than it is now. I won’t list all the changes in the past 60 years.Just know I take exception to your statement. You’re wrong in your assessment.

Posted: 07 January 2013 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2012-10-10
Dave Braddock - 07 January 2013 09:19 PM

Stop putting chunks of concrete in the middle of the roads and building new structures to be a tax burden. Stop telling us that the top 4 listed vicious dogs are not going to harm “anyone”. Really? All the trees cut down on Bluemont back before all the changes Manhattan was better looking and safer for pedestrians than it is now.

I NEVER SAID ANYTHING OF THE SORT. Don’t you DARE ever put words like that in my mouth again, do you understand me?

It is absolutely revolting that you would imply I said vicious dogs don’t ever harm people. Your beef is with someone else on that, not me, and just because you don’t like my “assessment” that a lot of people around here care only about K-State games doesn’t mean you have the right to imply completely off-topic things about me just to try to discredit me.

And I have no idea if you were on the old forum or not, but if you were, you would know I never once agreed with any of the ridiculous “improvements” like cutting down trees or the roundabouts with statues in them.

Also, I’m not an “outsider,” you dink. I’ve lived here 22 years as of next week, and prior to that was in Wamego when I was growing up.

Posted: 07 January 2013 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-11

Let’s see if I got this right

Larry, for a lot of people living in Manhattan, especially those who have been here a long time, that list really does exemplify all they care about. It’s K-State sports, the Stampede, and the rodeo and/or fair for them, nothing else

So you did not post that? As well as that is all we care about.
Alrighty then.

Posted: 08 January 2013 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Stacia and Dave….  I attempted to keep my “personalities list” to four, as had Felber.  Once posted, I had second thoughts and kicked myself.  Manhattan has additional “personalities”... far more than the four I listed.  I failed to note the personality of community exemplified by the large number of career professionals, none associated with the University or Ft. Riley.  From bankers to bakers, from attorneys to auto mechanics, from merchanidsers to manufacturing workers, from engineers to electricians… the list could go on and on.  Our community is so blessed to have the dedicated and professional staff that provides safe streets, excellent drinking water, maintains storm and sanitary sewers, etc.  My issue with Felber’s editorial was about his seemingly weak argument that Manhattan was void of anything other than a couple of events that encourage alcohol consumption and a sports team.  IMHO, that analysis of the “personality” of our community was simply a slap in the face to so many others that are our friends and neighbors.

Posted: 08 January 2013 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

“You Dink”...hahaha.  Now that’s the spirit.  More like the old forum.

1 2 > 
1 of 2

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.