A note to mr. Jellison
Posted: 30 December 2012 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2012-10-12

You really need to get over Frank.  You have a new coach now, and he is doing a good job.  Frank is gone.  He dumped you like a hot potato for more money.  Get over it. Your article implies that we all miss Frank…not true.  I am glad that thug is gone.  We now have a coach that has some respect for academics and is quite capable.  Sure, he doesn’t scream obscenities at his players or the referees, so he isn’t as entertaining as the Cuban thug.
By the way, Joel, the only people who were scared of Frank Martin were his players…remember the one he slugged?  We are well rid of him.  He is now South Carolina’s problem.

Posted: 30 December 2012 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2012-10-10

Now, now, Michael…  It’s not how you play the game.  It’s whether or not you can win at any cost!!  Coaches who win… regardless of how they win… are regarded as Gods in today’s society.  Coaches who lose, even though they might be gentlemen and excellent models for the athletes… are not worthy.  Frank got in trouble, recruiting high school athletes to win high school championships while in Florida.  But, he won.  Frank had questionable demeanor and choice of adjectives while describing referees, his own team, and most everything else.  But, he won!!  Weber was fired at Illinois… the paper used the term “dismissed”... for not winning enough games.  You could tell be the article’s intimation that Currie hurried with the hire of a losing coach that the sports media was disappointed.  Currie’s choice would have been far better rec’d had he hired a coach fired for NCAA violations, scholastic achievements of his athletes, or holding up a bank… if that coach had a winning record.  If Weber takes the Cats to the NCAA Tourney, he will be exonerated in the eyes of the media.  If, at the end of the season, Weber fields a team that ends up in the bottom half of the Big 12… that same media will call for his dismissal.

Posted: 31 December 2012 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2012-10-11

Frank won with intimidation plain and simple.  True basketball fans cringed when the Wildcats played offense as it looked like a bad high school women’s team.  The aftermath of that coaching style is still being felt with today’s team.  Rebound well, defend fairly well, but still a very poor offensive team.  Coaches that win CHAMPIONSHIPS are regarded as Gods Larry, not coaches that just win which is what Frank did.  He would have never brought us a Big 12 or National championship.  He might have gotten us close, but that is more a tribute to the players than to his coaching style.

Most people disagreed with the hiring of Weber as it was so quick and people did not think he was truly the best candidate.  He never won with his own recruits as his record steadily declined every year after Self’s recruits graduated, it was also a slap in the face that he told Jacob Pullon that he could never play for him at Illinois.  If he couldn’t recruit at Illinois what makes us believe he can do so in Manhattan.

It will be an interesting year and I hope Weber is able to be successful as I agree with Larry if he is not it could be a short trip!

Posted: 31 December 2012 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

MD, not so sure about your “short trip”.  Weber is Currie’s hire.  Will Currie admit an error, if Weber shows the less than stellar performace he did at Illinois?  Or, will Currie… like so many AD’s… have too large of an ego to release “his” coach?  If Currie feels his legacy is in danger if he sends Weber packing, it could be a long, painful trip.

Posted: 31 December 2012 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

I am just wondering why everyone is rooting against this man.  He seems to be doing fine so far and he appears to be a gentleman, unlike the former coach, and the one before him.  If the Mercury sports staff is so enamored with Martin, then they should start covering South Carolina basketball, and place that on the headlines rather than KSU.  Then they could print more stories about Thuggins as well.

Posted: 31 December 2012 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

Michael, I don’t think anyone is “rooting against” Coach Weber.  Personally, I want nothing more than for all programs at the University to be successful.  Weber does seem to be a prince of a person.  I just feel that this was a very quick hire and it would appear the entire field of candidates may not have been vetted.  And, I heard Weber speak on a Kansas City sports radio segment a week ago.  He was candid in relating that he virtually would have difficulty turning on a computer.  No social media.  I understand he has staff to perform recruiting tasks.  It’s just difficult to fathom an NCAA coach being able to compete in the realm of recruiting if you are not computer literate.  And, it appears his lack of recruiting skills is what lead to his demise at Illinois.

Posted: 31 December 2012 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-12

So, he is not computer-wise…Well that certainly makes him an incompetent in my book.  We should get rid of him now.  Currie should have tested him on his EXCEL skills before the hiring.
God, this is terrible…a basketball coach with poor computer skills. We need Frank back. He would never allow an over-paid drunken assistant to recruit a drug addict like Michael Beasley Oh, woe is me, woe is me. 
Frank would have never let assistants recruit.  He would never break the rules.  That is why Frank is such a noble guy…Weber is a jerk.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502

Reproduction of any kind is prohibited without written consent.