Mostly Cloudy


Storing unused pesticides in winter

By A Contributor

It would be great if I used up all my pesticides each year. I don’t use them all that much, so I usually have some I can store over winter for use next season. Read and follow the label for specific information on product storage.

There are several options for pesticides when you find that you won’t ever need it again. You may find another gardener that would use it. This is the season for gift giving. I don’t suggest a white elephant gift, but find out if they really could use it.

In Riley County, you can take pesticides to the House Hold Hazardous Waste site at 6245 Tuttle Creek Blvd. They accept items from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. during the week. Call them at 785- 539-3202 for additional information. You may also drop off items at their trailer in the morning of the second Saturday of each month at 625 S. 10th in Manhattan.

Pesticides are to be stored in their original containers. Keep them in a secure location that prevents children and others from accessing them. Ideally, this location is modified from temperature extremes to keep the product viable.

Keep an inventory of all pesticides. Mark each container with the year of purchase. The label needs to be kept readable. Consider making a copy at purchase to keep in a safe place.

The fungicide chlorothalonil is one product that I can’t seem to come out empty. This summer was too dry for me to use it much on my hybrid tea roses for prevention of black spot. My tomatoes didn’t have a lot of septoria leaf spot which this product keeps in check. I did use it during dormancy on my peach tree for leaf curl.

Check stored containers occasionally for any leaks and breaks. The label will have information on how to clean up spills if that occurs.

Fortunately, I’ve haven’t had any problems storing pesticides. The chlorothalonil is a liquid and will just need a shake to be ready for use. I’m looking forward to using it up next season.

You can find out more information on this and other horticulture topics by going to the Riley County, K-State Research and Extension website at And you can contact Gregg Eyestone at the Riley County office of K-State Research and Extension at 110 Courthouse Plaza in Manhattan, by calling 785-537-6350 or e-mail:

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502 | Copyright 2017