Organizers will be at a dozen city churches Sunday morning to collect signatures in a campaign designed to force city commissioners to pre-commit a percentage of the general fund budget for spending on social services.
The effort, by an ad hoc committee called Save Our Social Services is being labeled the first “Social Services Sunday.” Petitioners must collect the signatures of 1,494 registered city voters to force action on the ordinance.
Once signatures are validated, the city commission has 20 days to either adopt the ordinance or put it to a public vote.
The proposed ordinance would preserve the Social Services Advisory Board as the group making recommendations on social services funding require the city to spend two percent of the general fund on social services funding every year, and require that funds be carried over for future social service spending if all the funds available each year are not spent.
“People have clearly told the city commission they support social services spending,” said Geri Simon, S.O.S. Co-Chair and former SSAB Chair. “Some of our city commissioners have a narrow philosophy of government and think social service spending should be entirely turned over to the private sector. We know most Manhattanites disagree.”
The petitions will be available at the following locations and times.
• Crestview Christian, 4761 Tuttle Creek Blvd, after 10 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. services.
• First Christian, 5th & Humboldt, after 10:30 a.m. service.
• First Lutheran,10th and Poyntz, after 10 a.m. service.
• First Presbyterian, 8th and Leavenworth, after 9:15 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. services.
• First United Methodist, 612 Poyntz, after 11 a.m. service.
• Grace Baptist, 1209 Dickens, after 9:20 a.m. and 11 a.m. services.
• St. Paul’s Episcopal , 501 Poyntz, after 10 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. services.
• Peace Lutheran, 2500 Kimball, after 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. services.
• Pilgrim Baptist, 831 Yuma, after 10:45 a.m. service.
• St. Thomas More Catholic, 2900 Kimball, after 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. mass.
• Trinity Presbyterian, 1110 College Avenue, after 10:30 a.m. service.
• Westview Community, 615 Gillespie Dr., after 11 a.m. service.