Smoke sets off alarm at school

By The Mercury

Bergman Elementary students were evacuated Tuesday morning when smoke from a burnt-out HVAC unit motor set off the alarm, said Principal Lori Martin. A problem with the motor caused the school’s library to fill with smoke and set off the fire alarm, but there was no fire.

Emergency responders received the call sometime before noon. Students were evacuated, but they were only outside for about 10 minutes, Martin said.

Classes resumed Tuesday afternoon.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502 | Copyright 2016