subscribe
Partly Cloudy

28°



Rusty’s pulls drink from menu

Monster Energy’s link to recent deaths raises safety concerns

By The Mercury

Reports of deaths being linked to Monster Energy drink have led one Aggieville bar owner to halt the sale of the product at his establishments.

Rusty Wilson, owner of Kite’s and Rusty’s, said he suspended sale of the product Tuesday as a safety precaution until further information is available.

The Food and Drug Administration is investigating reports that five deaths and one non-fatal heart attack may be linked to the consumption of Monster.

Monster Beverage Corporation, which released a statement standing behind the drink’s safety Tuesday, is the defendant in a wrongful death lawsuit filed last week by the parents of Anais Fournier, a 14-year-old Maryland girl who died December 2011.

Fournier went into cardiac arrest after drinking two 24-ounce cans of Monster in a 24-hour period. She was placed in an induced coma and died six days later from what was described in the suit as “cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity.”

Wilson, whose bars only sell Monster, said “I couldn’t live with myself” if somebody died from drinking the product. He especially expressed concern for his employees because they are more likely to drink full cans.

Wilson said the drink is typically consumed either by employees who said they need the energy, or by customers ordering what are referred to as energy bombs. That is a drink consisting of Monster and a shot of liquor. He said he planned to meet with Monster representatives either Wednesday afternoon or later in the week.

“I feel I have a moral responsibility to find all the information available and facts before I sell any more of this product,” Wilson said.









Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502 | Copyright 2016