When petitioners visit a dozen city churches Sunday in an effort to force the city commission’s hand on social service spending, they’ll be seeking about a 30 percent increase in the current city spending in that area.
Petition organizers are visiting the dozen churches to collect signatures designed to require the commission either to adopt a proposal to commit at least two percent of general fund spending to social service agencies, or to put the proposition to a vote. Beyond the two percent requirement, the proposal would also preserve the Social Services Advisory Board as the group making recommendations on social services, and it would require that unspent funds be carried over for future social service spending.
The city’s general fund budget is about $24 million in the current-year budget, of which $373,600 — about 1.5 percent — is committed to social service agencies. If the two percent requirement had been in effect this year, that spending would have increased to about $487,000.
The highest dollar figure committed by the city to social service agencies was $455,837 in the 2010 budget. That represented a fraction under two percent of that year’s general fund budget. That figure was cut to $417,200 in 2011 before being reduced again in the 2012 budget.
The petitions will be available at the following locations and times.
• Crestview Christian, 4761 Tuttle Creek Blvd, after 10 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. services.
• First Christian, 5th & Humboldt, after 10:30 a.m. service.
• First Lutheran,10th and Poyntz, after 10 a.m. service.
• First Presbyterian, 8th and Leavenworth, after 9:15 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. services.
• First United Methodist, 612 Poyntz, after 11 a.m. service.
• Grace Baptist, 1209 Dickens, after 9:20 a.m. and 11 a.m. services.
• St. Paul’s Episcopal , 501 Poyntz, after 10 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. services.
• Peace Lutheran, 2500 Kimball, after 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. services.
• Pilgrim Baptist, 831 Yuma, after 10:45 a.m. service.
• St. Thomas More Catholic, 2900 Kimball, after 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. mass.
• Trinity Presbyterian, 1110 College Avenue, after 10:30 a.m. service.
• Westview Community, 615 Gillespie Dr., after 11 a.m. service.