Light Rain


No one — including family dog — injured in blaze

By Tim Weideman

Nobody except the family dog was home Tuesday morning when a fire broke out inside a Pierre Street house.

At about 9:45 a.m., the Manhattan Fire Department and Riley County EMS responded to the residence, 1318 Pierre Street, for a report of a structure fire. When they arrived, crews reported seeing heavy smoke coming from the house. Riley County Police Officer Andy Spade said he was able to enter the house and rescue the dog.

The exact location of the fire was not immediately known Tuesday morning, but firefighters had it under control by 10 a.m. and out by about 11:45 a.m., said Fire Marshal Rick Stillwagon.

“All we know so far is there’s fire in the attic,” Manhattan Fire Department Assistant Chief Mike Kaus said at the scene.

Vanessa Davis, the owner of the home, arrived after the fire started. She confirmed nobody but the dog was home at the time of the fire.

Officials closed the 1300 block of Pierre Street while firefighters attempted to extinguish the fire.

No further information was available as of press time.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502 | Copyright 2017