Little damage from fire at KSU dairy unit

By The Mercury

A small transformer caught fire at the Kansas State University dairy unit Saturday morning, causing little damage but leading to a small oil spill.

Steve Galitzer, director of environmental health and safety at the university, said the fire, which occurred around 10:30 a.m., was put out quickly by a Riley County fire crew. But around 20 gallons of transformer oil spilled during the fire. Galitzer said an absorbent material was put on the spill and a berm is in place to keep it from spreading and to protect the area in case of rain.

Galitzer said crews have been digging up the oil and putting a protective cover over it for proper disposal next week. The transformer also will have to be replaced.

The dairy unit is along North Marlatt Avenue between Denison and College avenues.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502 | Copyright 2016