K-State women fall at Hampton in 2OT

By The Mercury

HAMPTON, Va. — The Kansas State women’s basketball team used a pair of late comebacks in regulation and the first overtime, but it wasn’t enough on Saturday.

Hampton edged the Wildcats in the second overtime to come away with an 86-75 victory at the HU Convocation Center. The loss ended K-State’s three-game winning streak.

K-State (5-4) saw three players reach double figures and senior Katya Leick tallied K-State’s first double-double of the season with career highs of 18 points and 12 rebounds.

Ashia Woods scored 15 points, while freshman Leti Romero added 14 points, nine rebounds and four assists.

Hampton (9-3) was led by Nicole Hamilton and Alyssa Bennett with 24 points apiece. Bennett also hauled in 10 rebounds. Joining Hamilton and Bennett in double figures was freshman Malia Tate-Defreitas with 19 points.

Hampton chipped away at K-State’s nine-point halftime lead in the second half with aggressive, physical defense and timely baskets. The Pirates would capture their first lead of the game at 45-44 with 9:12 to play in regulation.

K-State would regain the lead at 59-55 using a 13-5 run with 3:19 remaining in the game. The run was sparked by a 3-pointer from Leick and a three-point play by Chantay Caron. The Wildcats also got five free throws from Romero.

Following two free shots from Romero to give K-State a 61-57 lead with 1:27 to go in regulation, Hampton raced up the floor and Hamilton connected for a 3 with 1:20 to play to cut K-State’s lead to 61-60.

K-State turned the ball over on its next possession and Hampton took advantage with four points. Hamilton connected on a running layup and was fouled on the play. After Hamilton missed the free throw, the Pirates grabbed the rebound and connected on a second running layup — this one by Tate-Defreitas with 29 seconds to play.

Romero raced the ball up the floor in the heart of Hampton’s press and nailed a jumper to bring the Wildcats to within one at 64-63 with 18.6 seconds left.

After K-State called its final timeout, Woods stole the inbounds pass and made a layup to give K-State a 65-64 lead with 17.3 seconds remaining. A missed shot rebounded by Hampton resulted in a foul on the Wildcats. The Pirates made one of two to tie the game at 65-65 with 4.7 seconds left. A final running shot attempt by Woods rolled off the rim to send the game to the extra session.

In the overtime, Leick tallied K-State’s first basket with a layup with 4:20 to play to give K-State a 67-65 lead. Hampton answered with a pair of layups from Hamilton to give the Pirates a 69-67 lead with 2:56 to play. After two free throws from Hampton, Sheble carded a free throw and a layup to bring K-State to within one at 71-70 with 9.2 to play.

After K-State fouled to send Hampton to the line, the Pirates missed both free throws. After the second miss and ensuing scrum, Leick was fouled trying to rebound the ball. Leick made the first of the two free throws to send the game to a second overtime.

Leick staked K-State to a 73-71 lead in the second overtime on a layup with 3:45 to play. Hampton answered, however, and used a 13-2 run to defeat the Wildcats.

The Wildcats shot 36 percent from the field and registered a 23-13 edge in bench points.

K-State will return to action after a brief holiday break to face North Carolina State on Dec. 28 at 6:30 p.m. in the Surf n’ Slam Classic in San Diego. K-State will face either UC Riverside or San Diego State on Dec. 30 to close out its 2013 non-conference schedule.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502 | Copyright 2017