FORT RILEY — Brig. Gen. Donald MacWillie told reporters on Friday that the impact of sequestration cuts is already being felt on post and that re-prioritization of training is already underway.
At the same time, he indicated that leaders on post have been preparing for the reductions for some time.
“All leaders throughout the Big Red One are taking prudent measures to stay strong, even in an environment of fiscal uncertainty,” MacWillie said. He said inter-personal relationships fostered over several years “will become even more important … as we share ideas as good stewards with limited resources.”
Specifically, the post’s senior commander said soldiers were using more simulation training rather than live training, and units had been bused rather than flown to remote training centers.
The scope of training is also being limited.
The general said no decisions have been made yet regarding which civilians will face one of the 2,700 furloughs to be imposed, but those furloughs could happen as soon as April.
But he denied rumors that 150 civilians have already lost their jobs, saying the only terminations thus far were 49 temporary employees who were let go a month early.