House fire on Fancy Creek Road

By The Mercury

Riley County firefighters extinguished a house fire on Fancy Creek Road Friday evening.

Authorities said the RCFD was called to 16250 Fancy Creek Road about 5:45 p.m. on Friday for a structure fire. No one was reported injured.

Firefighters from Mayday fire station, who were the first to arrive, reported the two occupants, a teenager and a child, were outside and said the upstairs bedroom was on fire. The house, owned by Rhonda Nelson of Higginsville, Mo., is rented to Tobie Gotchall.

Officials said the fire was successfully contained to the bedroom and extinguished by8:30 p.m.

They said as a result, the family was able to stay the night in the home.

Authorities said the fire appeared to be caused by a candle that was knocked over in one of the bedrooms.

  Officials said additional Riley county stations were paged and mutual aid was requested from the Green Fire Department.

Officials said that firefighters made entry, and quickly contained the blaze to keep it from spreading into the rest of the house.

As more volunteers arrived, they were able to extinguish the rest of the smoldering items.

Authorities said nine fire trucks and 22 fire personnel responded from six Riley county stations, and the Green fire department sent 4 people in one truck. The fire damage was estimated at $4,000 damage.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502 | Copyright 2016