Mostly Cloudy


House fire in Wamego being investigated as an arson

By The Mercury

Authorities are investigating an early morning fire in Wamego, in which a dog is being heralded as a hero for saving its owner, as an aggravated arson.

The fire occurred before dawn Friday at 304 Poplar Street.

Firefighters and law enforcement officers responded to find a single-family residence with an active fire on the front part of the house.

According to the account of the sole occupant, the family dog woke him up. The occupant, who was not identified, heard the sound of the smoke detectors after he awoke, then he exited the house through the smoke. However, the dog died.

Officials from the Kansas State Fire Marshal’s Office joined local fire personnel in saying initial indicators pointed to the fire starting on the front porch. That, they said, led them to investigate it as an aggravated arson. The amount of loss is undetermined at this time.

Authorities asked that persons with information concerning this crime are encouraged to contact the Wamego Police Department at 785-456-9553 or the Kansas Bureau of Investigation at 800-KS-CRIME (800-572-7463).

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502 | Copyright 2016