Mostly Cloudy


House fire causes $35,000 in damage

By The Mercury

Manhattan Fire Department crews responded to a house fire at 831 Colorado St. at 11:24 p.m. Monday.

When firefighters arrived, they found a single-story house with smoke and fire showing from the structure’s rear area, according to a news release.

The department responded with six fire apparatuses and 17 firefighters. The fire was contained within 20 minutes.

The structure, owned by Ben and Ralph Nyberg, was vacant at the time.

Department officials estimated the loss from the fire to be $35,000 in structure damage.

Investigators are still working to determine a cause.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502 | Copyright 2017