Partly Cloudy


Fumes prompt evacuation of Weber Hall Monday

By The Mercury

A student employee’s improper use of cleaning materials sent three people to the hospital and forced the brief evacuation of Weber Hall on the Kansas State University campus Monday morning.

Steve Galitzer, the university’s director for public safety, said an acid vapor was created around 9 a.m. after a student worker improperly mixed together two cleaning chemicals in Weber’s meats lab. The resulting fumes irritated the eyes and lungs of the worker and two others nearby. Weber was evacuated and large fans were used to clear the odors out of the building. Classes were to resume at 11 a.m.

Galitzer indicated that the injuries were not serious, but the three people were taken to a hospital as standard protocol.

He described the incident as “one of those things (where) a worker mixed two things together they shouldn’t have.”

A text message was sent to the campus community using the university’s alert system. The system also posted the message on Twitter and Facebook.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502 | Copyright 2016