Four fires in a few hours keep MFD firefighters busy

By The Mercury

Firefighters with the Manhattan Fire Department responded to a rash of fires early Friday morning. While two of the fires were determined to be accidental, two others are being investigated as incendiary.

Firefighters were first called to 2172 Patricia Place shortly before 2 a.m., after a candle placed on the top of the resident’s refrigerator started a small fire.

Ryan Almes, deputy chief of the department, said Riley County EMS treated one occupant for smoke inhalation.

The fire reportedly caused about $2,500 in damage.

About four hours later, firefighters were called to 618 Yuma Street for reports of two vehicles on fire. Those two fires, Almes said, are both being investigated as incendiary.

The total damage for both cars, he said, is about $16,000.

Shortly after 7 a.m., firefighters responded to 1208 Ratone Street, where a carport and duplex were on fire.

Almes said that fire was accidental, having been caused by a wood-burning stove.

Officials are estimating the damages at $30,000. Almes said the structure suffered about $20,000 in damage, while the contents were damaged for $10,000.

Almes said the department would like to warn the public of the risk of heating fires in the winter-time.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502 | Copyright 2016