Partly Cloudy


Electrical fire takes 21 to extinguish

By The Mercury

A structure fire destroyed a garage, damaged a metal outbuilding and part of a home in Riley County at 4740 Freeman Road on Thursday evening.

Emergency Management Director Pat Collins said the blaze took 21 volunteer firefighters and five stations to put out and caused around $25,000 in damage to the structures and their contents.

The home in front of the garage is owned by Ed Boyle and is being leased to Erin Helsy, who was home at the time of the fire. The fire is thought to have been caused by electricity because Helsey reported flickering of lights and crackling sounds before the fire began.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502 | Copyright 2017