Co-op fire in St. Marys damages train tracks

By The Mercury

A building at the Nemaha County Co-op in St. Marys was destroyed by a fire early Friday morning after officials said a pile of old wood in the structure caught fire.

The blaze reportedly began at about 2 a.m. Friday, shutting down US Highway 24 for approximately four hours as firefighters fought to contain the blaze.

The building was reportedly in the process of being demolished after it was determined to be structurally unsound.

The cause of the fire has not been established.

Officials said several fire departments were called in to assist with the blaze, along with representatives from Union Pacific, who assessed damage to nearby tracks warped during the fire.









Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502 | Copyright 2016