Chemical spill at KSU injures 1

By Megan Moser

Manhattan Fire Department responded to a nitric acid spill in K-State’s Mosier Hall on Friday afternoon that caused minor injuries to one faculty member.

The Manhattan Fire Department received the call at approximately 2:15 p.m. According to a press release from K-State, a College of Veterinary Medicine faculty member carrying a 9-pound bottle of nitric acid in a second-floor laboratory in Mosier Hall hit the doorway of the lab, causing about two and half liters of the chemical to spill.

The faculty member who was splashed with acid was treated for minor burns by EMS. That person and several others who were exposed were taken to Mercy Regional Health Center, but K-State officials indicated that it was just a precautionary measure, and all were later released.

Members of the fire department wore protective suits to handle the spill and used a product called Fast Act to neutralize the acid, said Lt. Louis Kaylor of the fire department. Once they determined the area was safe, they turned the rest of the cleanup over to KSU Public Safety.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502 | Copyright 2016