subscribe
Mostly Cloudy

40°



Accidental death update

By The Mercury

More information has been released on the death of a man transported to Mercy Regional Health Center early Thursday morning, including that he appears to have died from an accidental overdose.

Sgt. Brad Ingalls said Nicholas Gurik, 40, whose last known address was in Wakefield, was found in a room at Motel 6 early Thursday morning, having apparently huffed several keyboard dusting cans.

Police were called to the location after hotel employees requested a welfare check on the man.

Ingalls said Gurik had been conscious when police arrived, but his condition quickly deteriorated.

Riley County EMS transported Gurik to Mercy Regional Health Center where he was pronounced dead.

Ingalls said the department is investigating the death as an accidental overdose.  Officials issued a warning about the dangers of purposefully inhaling chemical substances.









Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | The Manhattan Mercury, 318 North 5th Street, Manhattan, Kansas, 66502 | Copyright 2016